Ferman of Sultan Mahmud I

ferman of mahmud I, 18c
Dated 1732, this ferman of Sultan Mahmud I can be considered one of the outstanding examples of Ottoman calligraphy. Considering it was written only for the ordinary task of transfer of tax collection rights to Esseyyid İbrahim upon Eyüb Sabri's death (none of them had any historical significance), the amount of work put in it is remarkable, it is like getting your tax return with a document like this.

Written in ruby, gold and black ink in celi divani style, enameled with gold flowers, it really shines.

Dimensions: 128.5x52.5 cm.
Estimated value: $45,000

Comments

  1. This is very beautiful indeed! I live in Chicago and the Art Institute of Chicago has an extensive collection of Middle Eastern art that is popular the world over. They also have outstanding collections of art from other areas in the world. I think it would be wonderful to be able to afford a large collection of art. This particular calligraphy is one that I wish I could view up close. That's what's so wonderful about art museums, getting the opportunity to get "up close and personal" with the art. I’m a big fan of art collections and art openings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another one I happened to see live. The temptation to touch it was too great. It was there, a few inches away, protected by a thin glass. But an eye contact with the guard broke the spell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pyramids by Yervant Chimchidian

Tarot Cards with Ottoman Figures

Bohemian Hookah